X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shidogakuin 20th Anniversary: Kendo vs Naginata Demo

As one of the special events during their anniversary, Shidogakuin held a Kendo vs Naginata demonstration. The demo was between Ogawa-sensei and Yamauchi-sensei. I believe there's a couple of naginataka on here that are familiar with Yamauchi-sensei, but doubt you've ever seen sensei in action...Till now.

The clip does not feature the match in its entirety.
    Approx: 8mb, 2:30 mins

Apple Quicktime Required.
    Kendo vs Naginata Demo

Oh, the Torrance kenshi absolutely rocked.

oooh nice tsuki there

Comment

Past Isshu Jiai Events.

Originally posted by paty.
      As one of the special events during their anniversary, Shidogakuin held a Kendo vs Naginata demonstration. The demo was between Ogawa-sensei and Yamauchi-sensei. I believe there's a couple of naginataka on here that are familiar with Yamauchi-sensei, but doubt you've ever seen sensei in action...Till now.

[SNIP]
      Actually I have. I have some footage of Yamauchi-s. in Guelph in 2000.

We also had a Isshu Jiai with the Annapolis Kendo and Iaido Club at our 8th Annual ECNF (East Coast Naginata Fed.) Seminar in Glen Burnie, MD, last year. We would like to plan the same for this year as soon as we get our dates locked in (tentatively 29-31 October).

I also have footage of Tanaka-s. doing Isshu Jiai in Guelph in 1998 and 1999 against Ohmi-s. and Mori-san, respectively, and of Fran Vall in Guelph in 2003.

As soon as I get a DVD writer here, I can distribute some of this stuff (but do NOT ask for it now).

Comment

How'd Ohmi-sensei do against Tanaka-sensei? I had...um...limited success against her

Comment

The ishizuki tsuki from taiatari was nice. I've never seen her fight before but was told that she was "bad" by the men's individual champion. She definately lives up to the billing. Thanks for the video.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by R A Sosnowski
            .... Seminar in Glen Burnie, MD, last year. We would like to plan the same for this year as soon as we get our dates locked in (tentatively 29-31 October).

I also have footage of Tanaka-s. doing Isshu Jiai in Guelph in 1998 and 1999 against Ohmi-s. and Mori-san, respectively, and of Fran Vall in Guelph in 2003.
            I believe that's the seminar sensei wants me to test at, so you'll probably get to see a new face. Would really love to see footage of Tanaka-sensei and Ms. Vall, even better if you have Tendo-ryu footage.

As for the tsuki comments, there was actually a nicer one that I didn't catch. If you watch the clip, you'll hear clapping when the second segment comes into frame, well just before that Ogawa-sensei was going for men and sensei did a tsuki forcing him back. It's a shame sensei didn't do her infamous "helicopter" attack.

Kenshi stay tuned, I'll post a clip of a hanshi and kyoushi doing keiko. There's a noticeable difference in skill level.

Comment

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill
              How'd Ohmi-sensei do against Tanaka-sensei? I had...um...limited success against her
              Do you remember the scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail where the Black Knight has lost his limbs? Just remove the arrogance. That's the vision I get in my head.

But seriously, Ohmi-s. very graciously acknowledged that he literally did not have legs to stand on after his encounter. It made a very deep impression on me, and I respect him all the more for it.

To this day, whenever he and I meet, he always asks after Tanaka-s.

Comment

Originally posted by paty.
                I believe that's the seminar sensei wants me to test at, so you'll probably get to see a new face. Would really love to see footage of Tanaka-sensei and Ms. Vall, even better if you have Tendo-ryu footage.

[SNIP]
                I'll be processing the paperwork for the Shinsa as well as new membership, and may be Motodachi or a "shadow judge" on the grading panel (I become elligible to sit on the grading panel next April).

I do have some Tendo Ryu footage from the 2000 Seminar in San Jose. Unfortunately I do not have any from 1998 seminar at Asilomar when the very senior students lead by Tokunaga-s. came over from Japan. (I am one of the 16 US members of the Shingetsukai, the organization for the promotion of Tendo Ryu, headed by Tanaka-s. in the US.)

Comment

^^
                  That's some cool info.

Well, as promised here's a kendo clip of a hachidan hanshi and nanadan kyoshi. The kyoshi is Kato-sensei head of Shidogakuin. It should be clearly evident by watching who's who. Enjoy.

Hanshi vs Kyoshi
                  Apple Quicktime required
                  Approx 1:30min, under 5mb
                  (scrub through it frame by frame using the side arrow keys to see the little subtleties)

Comment

you have more videos?

Comment

^^
                      Yep, waiting on a new hardrive so I can finish editing them though. I do have about 30 naginata clips (from the recent USNF championship) online if anyone wants to see those.

Comment

Working...
                      X