Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kendo,Naginata....

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/que...ay.html?0+3700

How do you think about this?

This has been brought up a few times on the boards, and it only shows how ignorant some people can be. Then again, just saying that makes me ignorant...

The point is, some people don't want to learn Kendo (The Way of the Sword), for the correct reasons. Different people have different views on the matter, and we can't always expect to have everybody loving Kendo as it is.

Comment

Old News

Originally posted by bakemokko
      It covers a lot of old, familiar ground

And it reminds me of the story of the blind men describing an elephant.

FWIW,

Comment

I stopped reading after the first question!

Comment

I stopped reading after the first question!
          indeed! the guy was asking how he can be a samurai. probably one of those really obsessed guys who have top knot because they want to be a samurai.

~taganahan

Comment

My point is:
            If Kendo doesn't teach you to swordfight realistically, then why do it? Everyone who starts it expects to learn how to swordfight, then they find out after a few months from some idiot that the real point is to achieve some mystical principle; then, they quit. This is dumb.
            No one person has a monopoly on what Kendo is or on what it is for. If you want to study it as a combat art, then who is there to stop you? Just get rid of the exaggerated modern Zanshin crap, and it becomes a very realistic fighting art. Anyways, even the guys who train merely to compete (using all the Zanshin rules) are still very good fighters, and they would easily beat any guy who just swings his sword around in the air all alone.

Comment

I'll have to agree with that MAX guy, the other guy just dont get it.

Comment

too long to read!

Comment

I have nothing to say. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, because right now, I'm extremly ANGRY because of those people.

I bid you goodnight fellow kendoka.

Comment

Originally posted by kenshin13
                    I have nothing to say. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, because right now, I'm extremly ANGRY because of those people.

I bid you goodnight fellow kendoka.
                    Angry of what people?

Comment

These days I am never surprised to see those types of people that want to be some master samurai, probably as a result of watching too many B-rate sword movies. I sometimes feel confused about those people in that I want to try to tell them about the real meaning behind training in any art, not just kendo. It is not to learn how to kill someone in 112 ways. I know it would be a waste of my time.

I used to lead the kendo club at my university in the States. One day, we were all practicing our footwork and yelling our kiais and some big guy struts onto the floor. So I stopped and walked over to him and he asks me about kendo. He said "can you stop a bullet with one of those things?" I said, "umm...no". Then he replied "then what is the use of doing it?" So without giving much of a reply, I walked back over to the class and resumed my training.

Needless to say, there will ALWAYS be these types of people. We can only do our best to avoid them.

Comment

Working...
                      X