X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atarashi or not Atarashi

It seems that this way of calling the naginata we practice has not been choosed by Japan. Well Atarashi means new, so it sound logical to call it Atarashi but the Japanese Federation did not choose that denomination, so it might be a wrong way to talk about Naginata!? What do you think about this?
    Someone told me that we should talk about it as Naginata or Naginatajutsu...

Why do you think the Japanese do not use the word "Atarashi"?

Comment

They don't use it for Naginata ! Well, because someone discuss with me about this, and by checking, it seems that I saw this for the first time on American Web site, than Europe followed...

Comment

Just plain naginata and Tendo-ryu, Jikishinkage-ryu, etc. although I have heard some Japanese refer to it as atarashii naginata.

Hamish

Comment

It is referred to as atarashii naginata. Originally it was also called gakkko naginata. Atarashii naginata is used to distinguish between traditional ryu-ha naginata-jutsu and the modern post-war sport/budo.

Comment

So Alex, If I understand you well, we can talk about Atarashii Naginata, or is there a part of the Naginata world that does not agree with this?
            What would Funahara sensei, Tokunaga sensei, Kimura sensei and Sawada sensei said about this?

Comment

nobody would disagree because it is a historical fact.

Comment

Thanks for this

Comment

Originally posted by Alex
                  nobody would disagree because it is a historical fact.
                  hi alex,
                  and if i remember right, your naginata-book translation has the title atarashi naginata. and the INF site as well uses that term. am i right!?

cya

best
                  frank
                  uni mainz/germany

Comment

Working...
                  X