Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Naginata... tameshigiri?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Naginata... tameshigiri?

    I was lately reading an article about a french Tameshigiri/Battodo sensei (Regniez sensei). Roughly quoting him, he says that the practice of the real cutting should be part of every kendoka/iaidoka cursus. In order to verify the quality of one's practice with the wooden or bamboo replica, everyone should try "the real thing" from time to time, or better, regularly practice Battodo.

    So I thought... and Naginata?

    Has anyone heard or actually practiced "real cut" in Naginata?

  • #2
    Originally posted by Hughes
    I was lately reading an article about a french Tameshigiri/Battodo sensei (Regniez sensei). Roughly quoting him, he says that the practice of the real cutting should be part of every kendoka/iaidoka cursus. In order to verify the quality of one's practice with the wooden or bamboo replica, everyone should try "the real thing" from time to time, or better, regularly practice Battodo.

    So I thought... and Naginata?

    Has anyone heard or actually practiced "real cut" in Naginata?
    I agree with Regneiz-s. with respect to doing Tameshigiri within a Batto-do curriculum (especially as I train in Nakamura Ryu Batto-do).

    I have not heard of any school of Naginata officially practicing Tameshigiri. It has been talked about -- I have been looking for a source for a reasonably-priced live-blade Naginata, but finances have put that project on the back burner for the time being.

    Comment


    • #3
      When everyone has the gun, he wants to shoot it.

      I do not agree.

      Why do you want Tameshigiri with the naginata ?
      You might have to learn about naginata more than now, Before you want to do it.

      Comment


      • #4
        How long a blade do you need? You could probably cut down a PK and mount it up.

        Comment


        • #5
          Naginata blades

          Greetings,

          I think Kris Cutlery still makes their naginataII bare blade. You may still be able to get their naginataIII on special order but I am not sure. Other than that, DGuertin may be able to do something for you (custom order). Does anyone else know where to get modern production naginata blades?



          Sincerely,
          Pete Maenner

          Comment


          • #6
            Funahara Sensei said that in order to fully understand Naginata one should try cuting with both a real naginata and a sword. I am told that the Art of Tameshigiri is different from how you cut in a "real fight", though (you do not have so much time...)

            Comment


            • #7
              There's a link floating around here somewhere of a naginata cutting video.

              Comment


              • #8
                Found it..

                http://www.kendo-world.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5653

                Comment


                • #9
                  I thought we did tameshigiri with a katana to replicate the kind of cuts you must learn with a katana to successfully cut through some thing.

                  Naginata is more like a halberd or bo/jyo if you check this movie 95% of the forms don't use the blade side of the naginata. I can't even imagen how you would practice tameshigiri with a naginata. Its not as I see it a cutting/chopping weapon..

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Halberd and bo are very different things....
                    The question is not silly at all!
                    Naginata is more a sword at the end of a bo dan a stick or a lance!
                    But the power is very difficult to manage, as well as the cut, because of the lenght of the weapon !

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I just wish I could see Slade's video, it doen't seem to work..

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Length

                        Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill
                        How long a blade do you need? You could probably cut down a PK and mount it up.
                        A typical naginata has a 20" blade with an equally long tang. Sorii is a bit different. There is a bit more mass near the kissaki than a katana.

                        I'd personally go for a properly shaped Naginata blade than trying to retrofit a Shinken blade.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Different styles.

                          Originally posted by Musha
                          I thought we did tameshigiri with a katana to replicate the kind of cuts you must learn with a katana to successfully cut through some thing.

                          Naginata is more like a halberd or bo/jyo if you check this movie 95% of the forms don't use the blade side of the naginata. I can't even imagen how you would practice tameshigiri with a naginata. Its not as I see it a cutting/chopping weapon..
                          It is a bit dangerous to generalize Naginata practice on the strength of just one clip.

                          That style, Jikishinkage Ryu Naginata-jutsu, uses a shorter E-bu (shaft) relative to other styles. That facilitates using it similar to a Rokushaku-Bo; there are a lot of one-hand techniques.

                          Other styles such as Tendo Ryu use a longer Naginata; one hand techniques are rare as they are harder to do. From personal experience, there is much emphasis on deploying the blade. Check out Shingetsukai Photos for a vid-clip. Also check out the following pix: http://koryubooks.com/photos/kg00tendo.html, and http://koryubooks.com/photos/tendo1.html.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Suemono-giri

                            I have several real Naginata,Nagamaki and practice the trial cutting.
                            I permit it only to the apprentice of five-dan or more.
                            Honmi(Shinken)is useless to the person with immature blade muscle.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by laozi
                              I have several real Naginata,Nagamaki and practice the trial cutting.
                              I permit it only to the apprentice of five-dan or more.
                              Honmi(Shinken)is useless to the person with immature blade muscle.
                              Five-dan or more of what? Atarashii Naginata?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X