E-bu wood

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-bu wood

Has anyone tried using wood other than Japanese oak for their e-bu?

I know of people who have, not sure what they used, however be aware that tournament regulations require 'oak" by which they mean akakashi or shirokashi. Yes, I understand that "Japanese oak" is not technically oak, but even if other woods were allowed they would be unlikely to meet the weight parameters which are based on Japanese oak.

Comment

I hadn't realised that akakashi or shirokashi was specified in the tournament regulations. Bother. Thanks for the info Bruce.

Comment

On the upside, I know that there is a lot written about woods online (okay, maybe not a lot). Ellis Amdur just started a new blog about wood choices. While a lot of these post suggest that other woods are suitable or sometimes even superior to Japanese shirokashi I have found that this works well as a guide to finding wood outside of Japan, but I have had weapons made of some of the highest rated woods on these threads which have lasted only marginally longer than poor shirokashi weapons, but at a significantly higher cost. It is much better to choose a better supplier for your Japanese white oak weapons. For example some of my group members were using e-bogu and they broke and average of 2-3 weapons per year, we switched to Tozando and have had no weapons break since, and these Tozando weapons have been in use for about 3 years now. The ones from ebogu that broke often had hidden twist or knots in the wood when the breaks were examined. I'm not knocking e-bogu, I have had good experiences with them, with the exception of their choice of supplier for their wooden weapons, it is basically an expensive way to buy your firewood.

I think that the idea of making your own naginata for day to day practice is great though. Here is Ellis' great guide: http://www.zaimoku.org/

Comment

Thanks again Bruce especially for the link to Ellis Amdur's blog. I had started to try and find the botanical name of akakashi and shirokashi and there it was in the blog.
          Last edited by Tasha; 8th October 2015, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X