X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stomp or no stomp?

okay. When I first started Naginata my sempai told me that there was no stomp (like kendo) in Naginata shiai. I've been watching a lot of vids (including World Champs) and most seem to get points when there is some sort of stomp. Does it matter? I know it's needed in Kendo, but what about Naginata? I don't get to see my sensei every day (or even every month), can someone help me?

stomping

When I first started kendo(kumdo) I was told to stomp. Later I was told that stomping was taught to beginners to teach them to have a strong lunge. This was good news to me because I tore my feet up at my first tounament stomping so hard.

Comment

As far as I know, stomp is not require in Naginata. Which world championship have you seen? If it's 2003, there was no Japanese fighters at that one, so I can't point you on a good exemple. Anyway. don't forget that there are many players coming from kendo in naginata and that, unfortunately, they keep stomping.
      I am not practicing kendo but as far as I understand, went you strike forward in kendo, you stamp, and you run toward your opponment. In naginata you strike from far away, you are not suppose to finish your hit with your body close to your opponent.

Comment

no stomp

naginata is all about being graceful when executing your strikes. you are suppose to slide(glide into your strikes. when i took naginata i had been taking kendo at the same time and sometime would stomp.
        my sensei would just giggle and say naginata is not kendo, no stomp. i had to rethink my attacks and footwork as we are turned sideways in naginata. it was definetly fun and challenging.

Comment

ditto, no stomp.

As we stand profile and not face our opponent, I feel stomp would somewhat "stop" the motion, "burry" it in the ground instead keeping of the required reactivness we should always have, if you see what I mean. It's true that naginata have a more "gliding" feeling.

Plus I think stomp would emphasize the use of the front hand to hammer your partner, which is definitely wrong. Naginata is about rotating the hips (therefore hara) to set all the movement in motion. Ki-ken-tai is only marked by the setting of the foot on the ground at the time your blade cuts.
          Move your feet after cut and you are off balance, strike without force; move it before and you are in danger.

Comment

I should qualify my post by saying that I don't do naginata at all, but am curious about these answers. Looking at the footage of ishujiai available on this site, as well as other naginata vs naginata matches I've seen, as well as the two people on the cover of Alex's new book, I see a lot of movements that I could only describe as stomping. It's hard to imagine that these people don't know what they're doing. Am I just mising something, or is there some other explanation? Thanks in advance.

Comment

we are not saying nobody is doing it, but you are definitly not suppose to stomp!
              http://users.skynet.be/fa018544/PointsUSA2003.wmv

the book of Alex is not talking about stomping, and the picture on the cover shows someone striking, moving his front leg a little high, but this is a matter of speed and not stomping

Comment

big step ≠ stomp

Comment

To be honest, that video seems to have quite a bit of stomping in it. Not as dynamic as a kendo stomp, perhaps, but you can still here the 'boom' of foot against floor. Still, I suppose lots of people in kendo do things they're not meant to, so I guess there's nothing strange about it.

Comment

we only pointed distinction between required "stomp" as a kendo form of correct waza (fumikomi I guess), and the occasionnal stomp resulting of a big step, jump, rapid hit, shiai excitment, but is not required... and not always beautiful Naginata as David pointed out!

Comment

I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

Comment

this video is only showing some hit from Belgian fighters at the last world championship. Unfortunately I don't have a video of japanese fighters converted to be viewed on the web.

Comment

Well, there's one of an ishujiai on the downloads page here. I know it isn't just naginata, but that person seems to be Japanese and looks like they know what they're doing.

Comment

No Stomp.

I offer the following clarification...

To lift the foot off the ground and return it forcefully is a stomp.

Whether it is required for good kendo is a battle royale. My sensei is on the "do kendo like you do your kata" side: i.e. no stomp. But due to the forward facing nature of kendo kami, it is easy to get into the habit of stomping.

Due to the hanme or side facing posture of naginata, the only way one can lift the foot off the ground to move forward is to see-saw the body/torso at the hips. This will create at least a split second of off balance, which is a perfect opening for your opponent. Avoid creating openings for your opponents. Also you might get in the habit of falling forward into the cut. In naginata, as in kendo, controlled stopping is just as important as controlled starting.

However, there is noise made when a person using a gliding footwork brings the weight down off the ball of the foot. This is true for both kendo and naginata. Popping footwork can be mistaken for stomping footwork if the video in question has a bad sound gain setting.

Turn down the sound and look at, among other things, how high and to what angle did the knee get lifted to. Did the spine lurch forward/backward? Things like that.

Apologies in advance if this is not helpful in answering your question.

Comment

The difference between Fumikomi and Fumitsuke

stomp=Fumitsuke

There is not Fumitsuke-ashi in a naginata.

I may wonder.....Someone say Kendo is like this, although Iaido is like this.
                              Why does it compare and think?
                              Please carry out comparison examination after getting to know a naginata more.

Is a floor stomp when you Uchikaeshi?

At the time of a collective swinging practice (Zentai-Gourei),kote wo ute !
                              Sune wo Ute......like this.
                              Do you Stomp ?

Comment

Working...
                              X