X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Japan Naginata events?

Is it me, or do we not hear much of what is cooking for Naginata in it's homeland? I feel that pretty few info pop here? I hear more of Europe and US (with pleasure)...

Any hints on Japan championships for example, other competition, large seminars,... and info and/or reports on them?...
    News from AJNF? (what about a couple more shikake-ooji or kata, autorizing ichizuki tsuki in shiai, pre-war Nagintata with kick and headbutts, refering isshu-jiai with Chambara and Kyudo, that sort of thing...)
    I know that beeing licensed in a autorized Naginata fed', I'd have those sort of info when validated, but it's frustrating not to know what is planned, debated, in project, etc...

How does Naginata do over there?

(subsidiary: Does "Naginata World" makes the subscription to KW worthy for a non-kendoka )

slippery topic...

Comment

Originally posted by Nagi David
      slippery topic...
      wintertime...

Comment

Originally posted by Hughes
        pre-war Nagintata with kick and headbutts, refering isshu-jiai with Chambara and Kyudo, that sort of thing...
        Sounds great. I like it.

Comment

...true

We event don t find japanese website with pictures and Naginata videos, only some clubs and university who tells when ther dojo are open...

it look like US,europe,etc spread more info, make more promotion on the web than japan

do you have the same feeling in kendo?

++

Phil

Comment

JAPAN don't need to do a lot of promotion as long as Naginata is part of their culture, the Emperor himself, is even coming for the birthday ...(see other topic)
            Beside of this they have a few thousands affiliate, which is more than all the other federations in the world all together...
            Kendo is, I believe a little different, Japan has to fight to be the best in Kendo, there are many very good clubs outside Japan, even if it's still the reference. It's a bit like Judo history... except that Judo is now an Olympic sport and I don't think it will happen soon for Kendo.

Comment

Originally posted by Nagi David
              JAPAN don't need to do a lot of promotion as long as Naginata is part of their culture, the Emperor himself, is even coming for the birthday ...(see other topic)
              Beside of this they have a few thousands affiliate, which is more than all the other federations in the world all together...
              Kendo is, I believe a little different, Japan has to fight to be the best in Kendo, there are many very good clubs outside Japan, even if it's still the reference. It's a bit like Judo history... except that Judo is now an Olympic sport and I don't think it will happen soon for Kendo.

but if you look, in belgium we are 50 practicioners and there is 4 web site
              in france they are 200 there is more than 10 website
              (website where you can find explanation, pictures etc...)

in japan there is maybe 500 000 people doing naginata with all the ryus (i found this info on a french website )... and there is not a lot of echos on the web that s what i wanted to say-->

++
              Last edited by Phil; 15th December 2005, 01:11 AM.

Comment

it might be considered as arrogant to explain a martial art or to talk about victories...
                Web is about 7 years old... great japanese may not be so familiar with it, and none of their student would think about explaining naginata in Japanese...
                But if you search well you can find many japanese blogs or webpage where the person talkabout his passion. Try with www.yahoo.jp or another japanese web tool...

Maybe Iaiozi can give us a few good link?

Comment

I think there may be many private websites. You just will not find them with google using just english terms.

Comment

There are not a lot of websites on naginata in Japan, no. And the ones that exist are usually (all?) in Japanese. Im studying naginata in Japan (just now got back from training!) - but since Im only a beginner to the art I dont feel qualified at all to talk much about naginata here. What I know of naginata is all at my local level, and I live in a relatively traditional/rural part of Japan too.

Although naginata isnt widespread here (in fact I am frequently explaining what it is to Japanese people themselves) I suppose it is rather common here compared to the rest of the world. I would guess the promotion isnt done much over the web here for several reasons, some of which Nagi David said. Japans a very community-oriented place, and people here learn about naginata and events from people, not online. Like David said, its part of their culture. Those who need to know whats going on, know. Everything I learn I learn from my sensei(s).

The reason for lack of official club sites in English is easy: English is not a language spoken by many Japanese at all, let alone the relatively small number of naginata practitioners. That said, I think people here are really keen to promote the art as much as possible, whether here or overseas. Ive seen training sessions that are aimed especially at promoting naginata (complete with TV crew), where very young children were invited to watch and try.
                    Also, from what Im told, people really have to work doubly hard at promoting naginata compared to kendo. It just doesnt receive the same money or support. Probably most people would agree though: more websites would be good.

I can tell you that the All Japan 2005 Naginata Championship was held just last week though in Tokyo. Unfortunately I didnt get to see it though (^_^).

Comment

http://naginata.jp/h17jigyou.html

This is for this year - I think the schedule only gets updated every March. But most events should happen the same weekend every year...

Comment

If you are very intelligent,
                        and you own a mac with OS X ...
                        but then, I repeat myself
                        Add the Japanese Input Palette to your menu bar, via
                        System Preferences >>Personal >> International >> Input Menu

Use
                        System Preferences >> Personal >> International >> languages
                        to designate the order of preference.

IF done correctly, you will see a little flag added to the right end of your menu. Click for a pull down menu to change from your native language to Japanese.

Use a search tool like : http://www.google.co.jp

Type 'naginata' in romanji/romaji. OS X will do the conversion into hiragana for you.

{If it messes up inputing text into other programs, go back out to System Preferences and uncheck the Japanese language boxes to turn the feature off.}

If you want to do a search based on kanji, with the Input Menu set to Japanese, hit the space bar after typing 'naginata', possibily twice to bring up the kanji associated with naginata. If you have access to a '214 Historical Radical' chart arranged by stroke count: The first kanji is 8 stroke radical #168, the second kanji is 2 stroke radical #18.

If you have never used the OS X's kanji dictionary before, it will probably be item 4. {After you select a kanji in the OS X dictionary, it is assigned a higher priority, since the computer thinks you want a familiar kanji, so it will move up to item 3, the next time you do a kanji search for 'naginata' on that same same computer.}

Be aware that there is lots of manga and anime naginata out there along with the atarashii naginata.

And if, like me, you can not read Japanese, there is mostly pictures to enjoy, but there is an occasional notation in English.

Apologies in advance, I do not know how to input Japanese in Windows OS, or linex, et c. If everyone on the forum is a mac power user, apologies in advance for wasting your time and KW's bandwidth.

Comment

Cool!

Thks for all the tips !

(i will look the pictures to...)

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hughes
                            News from AJNF? (what about a couple more shikake-ooji or kata, autorizing ichizuki tsuki in shiai, pre-war Nagintata with kick and headbutts, refering isshu-jiai with Chambara and Kyudo, that sort of thing...)
                            I guess it is the opposite. It was AJNF who removed ishizuki tsuki and the rest (unfortunately?) followed. I don't think kicks and headbutts ever existed in naginata as a sport (perhaps in isshu-jiai) and I hope it never will as Naginata should focus on using the weapon (haven't seen headbutts in koryu either). The trend I can see is that AJNF is removing bogu-practice from naginata. For the first time in history you dont have to put on bogu for shodan!

When I was in Japan I was suppriced how few had heard of Naginata. I expected that few new about it, but when asked about what I was carrying no one had heard about "Naginata".

I am also suppriced why there is so little japaneese Naginata on the net - if there are 500.000* people doing Naginata there!

* I have actually heard that the number is less but I cant find my source.

Comment

Originally posted by Nausicaä
                              I can tell you that the All Japan 2005 Naginata Championship was held just last week though in Tokyo. Unfortunately I didn’t get to see it though (^_^).
                              my point exactly... thank you very much Nausicaä for the explanations.

To the KW guys () : will we have some report and photos/films on those championships?

Originally posted by Jakob Ryngen
                              I don't think kicks and headbutts ever existed in naginata as a sport (perhaps in isshu-jiai) and I hope it never will as Naginata should focus on using the weapon
                              I was kidding, for some part of that post...

Comment

Working...
                              X