Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Naginata Clubs?

Hey everyone,

I'm going to start a naginata club @ Mount Holyoke College this semester...I was wondering if there were any other college naginata clubs here in the U.S. Bryn Mawr used to have one but I heard that it became inactive, and I just found out that Carleton College apparently has one...are there any more?

Yes, the University of Nebraska has one. They teach kendo and naginata. If I dig arround I'm sure I could find some old info on them. Let me know if you need me to.

Comment

Yup, we at Carleton have one. Our nagainata instructor is also our kyudo club instructor and she's a 5th dan in kyudo. The remarkable thing about her, is that she's never failed a test. Anyways, our naginata club is, to my knowledge, the only one in Minnesota but I very well could be wrong. I tried to get in contact with the Bryn Mawr group but I couldn't find any contact info. I'll ask a friend of mine who goes there if she's heard anything about it. If you need any help setting your group up, feel free to PM me with questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Donigan
        Yes, the University of Nebraska has one. They teach kendo and naginata. If I dig arround I'm sure I could find some old info on them. Let me know if you need me to.
        Ah yes I looked on the Southern California Naginata site and found that they are part of the SCNF. Do you have any more info about them?

Shinkenshi, what rank is your naginata sensei? is she affiliated with any of the federations? Because I never heard of the Carleton club. I knew about Bryn Mawr since a couple of our seminars have been held there, Nakano sensei is also affiliated with some of the college clubs in Southern California...but that's about it

Comment

[quote=Dragon Ninja]Ah yes I looked on the Southern California Naginata site and found that they are part of the SCNF. Do you have any more info about them?

Yes, a fellow kendo forum guy emailed me some info. his screen name is Dufus . he sent me this info "Naginata practice should be Monday and Wednesday after Karate, which is after Kendo. Also, I think it's Saturday mornig from 11 to 11:30, maybe noon."

I did a little more digging and found the contact info. Hope it helps.

HHP - 135 Mabel-Lee Hall
          University of Nebraska
          Lincoln, NE

Comment

Our naginata club is not officially related to any federation. I actually don't practice naginata so I don't know what her rank is. No one over here is affiliated with any of the naginata federations. The woman who leads our naginata club doesn't want to be called sensei and never has claimed to be. At the most we could call her sempai but thats it. We all just asked her to teach us what she knows. I'll double check her rank though. Our club mentor however I'm pretty sure is either maybe a shodan or a nidan in naginata and first learned in middle school in Japan for her gym class.
            Last edited by ShinKenshi; 12th January 2006, 11:17 AM.

Comment

university of illinois - http://students.imsa.edu/~bobafett/kendo/index2.html

Site's out of date, so I would try contacting them to see if they're still actively practising.

-pat

Comment

Working...
              X