X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting my bogu.

Sensei is letting me use the club set starting thurs. Just wondering how things will change when I'm in bogu.

Originally posted by Kapplow
    Sensei is letting me use the club set starting thurs. Just wondering how things will change when I'm in bogu.
    I just recently got into bogu awhile back as well... and trust me EVERYTHING changes ^^!

Comment

Focus on the Basics

For some it can be overwhelming. For others it is liberating.

No one disputes the fact that it is warmer than without bogu.

Keep your chin up, and remember to breathe. Focus on the basics: good footwork, good strikes.

You will get hit. Don't try to avoid getting hit, focus on striking.

Don't get angry, control your emotions.

Above all else never forget this last point:

Have Fun!!!.....................................Men!

Comment

Don't keep your chin too far up, otherwise, you're going to develop a bad habit, which will leave your throat exposed. My sensei is forever telling me to get my chin back down.

One of my sempai also commented on keeping the chin down, in that you are less likely to lift your arms too far over your head. He demonstrated it for us, and it seems to be logical enough to me.

Comment

I just wished I could use it for kendo too

Comment

I'll second the chin down statement. I've never seen anybody who's been in bogu for a while with a problem that involves their chin being too tucked in, but I've see all too may who have their head tilted back (and I'm certainly not excluded from this bracket).

Comment

Whoops!

Looks like I gave you some bad advice. It's a case of what I said doesn't match what I meant to say.

The point I was trying to make was that if you keep your chin too tucked and lean forward, you will present a very nice Men target to your opponent.

How about this,

Try to remember to stand tall, keeping your head level. Often when people will stand they will droop their head and their chin juts forward. What you want to do is when you stand tall to bring your head up and pull your chin in.

Does that sound about right everyone?

But more than worrying about that, enjoy, have fun, don't loose your fighting spirit, listen to what suggestions you are given and relax.

Comment

No pain, no gain, never forget this

It's scary at first, but you get used to it, then you get to the point where you feel sorry for the people without bogu :P

Comment

It's hot, it's claustraphobic, you'll feel totally unco and your head might fall off.

On the chin thing, I was told to keep my chin up, hurts a lot less when you get hit. (And the sempai demonstrated this on me!) But then I have terrible posture so maybe me keeping my chin 'up' makes it 'normal'.

Comment

Bogu!!!

YESSSS!!!!!

wow it was so awesome! You lose your perifral vision, but I didnt mind that too much. All of my cuts were a lot harder to do. My right hand kept hitting the tare when I would cut. also switching kamae with kote it a lot different. We only got to practice for about 20 min but it was the most fun I had in a long time. I didnt get to take it home with me though. probably because my sensei knew I would get myself hurt trying to use it for kendo. hehe. I even got to feel the pain of a bad sune. It stings but thats about it. God I have to get my own set.

Comment

Isn't Naginato-do Bogu the exact same thing as Kendo-gu with different Kote and the Sune-ate?

Comment

The men is a bit wider, and offers more protection.
                        I think the doh might be wider to...

Comment

As I remeber the hardest thing was to get used to sune-ates. I used to trip all the time when himos and bamboo parts got tangled. Now that I'm used too wearing bogu I can't imagine how I actually managed to get my sune-ates tangled together. Talent obviously :P

The best thing with getting your own bogu is to have a men hemet that actually fits your head and haven't been worned by the whole kendo and naginata club.

Comment

ok my own bogu is coming in on mon.

question: I noticed that you tie naginata men differently than kendo men.
                            since I do kendo too I bought a kendo bogu set. Will I able to do both men tying methods with the leather and himos provided in the kendo bogu set?

Comment

Originally posted by Kapplow
                              ok my own bogu is coming in on mon.

question: I noticed that you tie naginata men differently than kendo men.
                              since I do kendo too I bought a kendo bogu set. Will I able to do both men tying methods with the leather and himos provided in the kendo bogu set?
                              In my experience, differences in how to tie the men-himo tend to be regional. I am aware of at least three different methods used here in the US. Although many of those differences may arise from people coming to naginata witha a kendo background. As far as I know, the details of tying the men-himo are not strictly regulated.

Comment

Working...
                              X